Wednesday 21 October 2009

Nice body, shame about the face.

The most common question I get asked by my students (after we've covered the obligatory 'How much years have you?' and 'How long time you are in Chile?') is 'Do you like Chile?' During my first semester, my answers consisted of 'So far, yes, I like it'......cue five minute explanation of so far.

By the time the second semester had started and new classes had been added to my schedule, I found myself in a bit of a dilemma. I knew, that on meeting my new students, I would be asked that question again. This posed a problem. I had been living here for four to five months and already hated Santiago and the vast majority of its moronic inhabitants I had encountered on a day to day basis. What was I to do? I don't like lying when it means denying an opinion, nor did I want to offend my students. Then, in an inspired moment, I realised that they were asking about Chile. No problem, then. I'd been outside of Santiago. I'd visited Viña, Valparaiso, La Serena, Elqui Valley. I had an out. 'Chile? Oh yeah, it's a beautiful country. You guys are so lucky'.......cue five minute explanation that guy does not mean homosexual.


This country is pretty amazing and amazingly pretty. I believe it is quite unique in its natural borders. Is there another country on the planet that has a desert to the north, ice to the south, mountains to the east and an ocean to the west or variations thereof?

Since my arrival, I have visited several more places and I've not been disappointed. I heartily recommend places like Chiloé, Valdivia, Santa Cruz and the aforementioned Elqui Valley. Viña and Valpariaso are quite nice, the latter being a little overrated by best known chubby-ankled Gringa guidebooks. The Atacama desert is spectacular but unfortunately there's no escaping the CAGs which overrun San Pedro.

I've yet to meet anyone who actually likes Santiago to any great degree. The biggest vote of confidence I've heard is a 'Yeah, it's alright I suppose' and that's from a couple of CAGs that got knocked up by their pololos and are pretty much stuck here anyway. It is, without a doubt, the ugliest place I've ever lived in. Everyday my senses are violated in some way by its unwashed bus 'musicians', vile architecture and overbearing smog to name but a few. And then there's the guinda de la torta....the natives. That, I'll save for another posting.

0 comments: