Saturday 3 October 2009

Here's to the first of many.



I've toyed with the idea over and over again about having a blog. For an opinionated individual, such as myself, it always seemed to be the natural progression. I've never been shy about putting forward an opinion and screaming that the Emperor is stark-bollock naked. An admirable trait I've always thought. After all, there is no worse scourge in our society than hypocrisy. Is there?
However, I have learnt along the way that there's a time and a place for such correct
opinions.

One such opinion is that blogs are maintained by attention-seeking, egotistical individuals. So before I took my first steps into the blogosphere I had to make sure that I fitted into that category. Not fitting into that category would have inhibited this gift I am bestowing on the world simply because to join this club without the requisite traits would've rendered my original opinion wrong. And that would upset the natural order.

I imagine a large portion of my postings (read: rants) will be of my time here in Santiago and my encounters with the natives and their 'different' ways.
I arrived in Santiago about 18 months ago. The first thing you see when you exit the airport, after you navigate your way through the salivating taxi drivers is the breathtaking view of the Andes. It's then you know you've made the right decision to travel to the other side of the world on a one-way ticket to a country where you have only a rudimentary knowledge of the language.

I also think there'll be a mention or two of football (it's never called 'soccer') with a good measure of my pet hates. Do I care if people read my blog? Well, of course I do! After all, I'm an
attention-seeking, egotistical individual.

Here's to a long and prosperous future of spleen venting.

Cheers.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Ah... so you are a British or Australian English teacher. Well...It is called soccer where I come from and I correct my students about that all the time. Anywho, I like the blog soley for the purpose of venting. Anonymous. It's great. I can't vent too much because people know me :(

Shark said...

Hi Sara. Thanks for your comments....my first!!! To correct your first assumption....I'm neither!! Due to upcoming events, it'll be unavoidably revealed shortly.

Matt said...

Only the Irish only could be angrier than and as sarcastic as the English.

Shark said...

Give that man a cigar!

Matt said...

Cuban, please.