Friday 5 March 2010

Could all the dead people please take one step forward?

It's all so surreal. Did it happen? Was it a bad, yet terribly exciting, dream? Oh no! I've just switched on the TV and they're still talking about it. I officially have terremoto fatigue. It's been almost a week since The Quake that Shook Chile as it's being lazily dubbed by bloggers.
 
In Santiago there is very little evidence that such an event occurred. Yesterday morning a student took me on a tour of his 3 storey, city centre, office building. The inside walls visibly bore the scars of the the big shake. Cracks ripped through the plasterwork which he assured me were purely superficial.

Now that we are in March, the city should be back to it's normal congested self. Congested by people as well as traffic. It's not. Fantastic!! The metro has been practically empty every morning. I was able to do my Jumping Jacks no problem at all. So, where are the people? Are they MIA? Have they not been able to get back from their holiday destinations? Have they all left to do some humanitarian work? No, no and hahahaha!


One verb you soon learn here if you haven't already got it in your vocabulary is aprovechar and its pronominal counterpart aprovecharse. Chileans love to, and will try to aprovecharse at every given opportunity. It's true that many areas of the city are without water, gas, electricity or a combination of all three. I, myself, am without gas and therefore hot water and the ability to cook food. The bone-idle natives it seems are using the current situation to have a few more days off work.

The weekend of the quake I watched the various news channels and browsed various websites getting much needed information. On the whole, the journalism was pretty good across the Chilean, American and British networks. I was amazed at how much airtime CNN International was giving the story. Not once in 48 hours did it relent. As the hours ticked by and the fatalities plateaued, the CNN International journalists were visibly disappointed by the unwillingness of that number to climb. The newsreaders read the number through gritted teeth while inwardly saying: Die motherfuckers! Die! I came in on my day off for this? It's not even four figures yet. I bet the number is bigger over on Fox.

Aside from my gas problem (!), Monday morning started off pretty normally. I skipped off to my 8.00am class bidding a cheerful buen día! to the conserje. He grunted back in kind. That morning I brought my camera. I thought it would be a good idea to take a few snaps of the damage. Although the sun was still rising, there was enough light to see everything. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately), I arrived at my destination devoid of evidence. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Sure, there were signs of devastation and destruction but that's Santiago's natural demeanor. I took a different route home but alas to no avail. I do know that a steeple fell off a church in Providencia, and that part of the motorway that encompasses the city collapsed and in the suburb of Maipú some apartment blocks subsided. I think something similar happened in Ñuñoa.

If you watch the post-weekend news on Chilean TV you would think Santiago is a war zone. The international networks have got bored with it now preferring to make fleeting references to the looting and general breakdown of social order. Of course, the real problems are down south but a sceptic like me though, has problems believing what he's being told about Concepción et al if they are so far off the money about Santiago.

TVN is a fairly respectable network here. They have a pretty good news service each morning until about 8.00am. Then the magazine show Buenos Días a Todo takes over. On Tuesday morning they interviewed a fat Chilean housewife crying that she didn't have enough bread or milk while in the background locals are ransacking a Lider supermarket. The show then leads into commercial by showing some slo-mo footage of the devastation (read: crumpled shacks) and people weeping into their hands. And if that didn't do enough to tug the heartstrings, they overdub it with some heartfelt music a la Platoon. The commercials come on. First up, a happy-slappy housewife telling you that Lider (the same supermarket that was being relieved of its stock by looters) has all you need for your kids going back to school. She practically does cartwheels down the aisles telling other housewives on the way of the great offers and at the end everyone leaves the supermarket with big toothy smiles (and official receipts!)

Looting is a major problem down south. It wouldn't have happened to such an extent had the limp, left government given the order sooner to put the army on the street. Without a doubt, had the earthquake happened a fortnight later, Piñera would not have been obstructed by a bunch of headless chickens holding on to power. I'm a great fan of Bachelet but the one black mark against her presidency will be her inability to maintain social order especially around 11th September (the anniversary of the Coup d'Etat that brought Pinochet to power).

I fully understand the reluctance of the incumbent government to put soldiers on the street but I totally disagree with it. A democratically elected leader giving the order is completely different from a dictator sending out the army to execute whomever disagrees with him.

Nobody is more disappointed in Bachelet than me. She has not displayed the leadership qualities that are required in such a situation. She has spoken without confidence in her own words and has been on the verge of tears during radio and TV interviews. Chileans, however, do cry at the drop of a hat.


Had this occurred in my homeland I would fully expect an inquiry into why the government were so slow to act and why the hell the airport was taken out of commission so easily.

Now there are reports that the death toll may not even be close to the 800 currently being reported. It may only be a quarter of that. This should of course be good news but it still begs the question.........how stoopid can one nation be?

A perennial optimist, I can only see the silver lining and let's face it, a devastating earthquake was the best thing that could have happened to the aesthetically challenged Concepción and the only dead people should be the looters

13 comments:

Kyle said...

I am normally in agreement with a lot of the things you write, although not necessarily the way you write them. This is one case where I feel like you crossed the line.

If the death toll is less, fantastic. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of people lost everything.

Anonymous said...

This Shark is realizing that he's so untalented and his posts are so boring (just look at the number of comments he gets lately), that the only chance he has to get the attention he desperately needs is to be "controversial". Poor little pathetic and foolish fish.

Sara said...

Anonymous, I like you. I wish I knew who you were though. Basically you have to realize that the fish has issues. I think he publishes most of this stuff to try to gain readership. If he actually believed it he probably wouldn't be in Chile. Oh wait, he probably has a girlfriend there. Besides that, I don't imagine he's too terribly happy or has many friends. While he says it doesn't bother him, obviously it does.I decided not to read the dribble posted here, but I popped over today because he keeps trying to leave me comments on my blog which I don't publish.

Shark said...

Yes, my readership (or lack of) keeps me awake at night.

It's true, I have no friends. Which is why I allow personal attacks on my blog. Any attention is better than none!

But back to reality. I don't think this post was particularly controversial. They're just some observations and when all the dust settles there'll be some serious questions to answer.

Let's face it, it was only sheer luck that this did not turn into a national disaster.

People didn't lose 'everything'. They lost all their possessions. Losing everything is losing your husband, your wife, your children, the people you care about most and your life.

Granted, there were fatalities. Tragic. So, so tragic.

People lost 'everything' in the global financial crisis too but somehow that doesn't register with people.

Agreed, some people have lost everything they owned. And while their everything might not add up to much, it's not easy for them. Fatalities and injuries are minuscule by comparison and as hard as it may be to hear this, some people may come out of this better than they went in to it. (More on that at a later date)

We live in an cruel, ugly world. No amount of tears or sympathy is going to fix that.

(Sara, by all means, refuse to publish my comments. That's your choice but I'm not likely to join your BFF club. A little hypocritical for someone that believes in freedom of speech.)

Anonymous said...

Shark, this is the same anonymous again. If you want, I can be your friend. I'm way smarter than you are, I'm fluent in more languages than you will ever be, and have more friends. I can also teach you a couple of things about the great depression in the 1930's, so you can maybe start understanding human suffering. I can also teach you to write and engage your followers, even in english, so you can get more readership.

Shark said...

The offer is greatly appreciated. Perhaps I could show you the joy of capital letters.

Maybe your need to make friends is greater than mine. After all, if you remember the Great Depression you are probably going to more funerals than weddings these days.

Have your people talk to my people and we'll do lunch.....before your afternoon nap.

Marmo said...

It´s clear to me that you don´t like the country. BUT, you must have a really good reason to remain here; maybe you don´t like that reason too, but it has to be something important, to withstand stoopid Chile/Chileans.
Maybe some day, you´ll share with us what keeps you in this side of the world. Maybe it´s something you like, besides fresh vegetables, weather, or something like that.
It´s not the first time this happens in Chile, and won´t be the last.

Anonymous said...

Hi fish, anonymous again. Your should tell your girlfriend not to be afraid to move back with you; not all Irishman are like you. Thanks for your advice, you show, once again, how hard it is for you to get a hold of your grey matter: Capital Letter, Right, Now I'm So Happy! Unless you're still in high school, you're probably way older than me... again, you're a perfect example of "ad hominem" fallacy: instead of making your point, you try to seem smart by "assuming" personal characteristics of your readers. I still can be your friend if you want, sharky.
(PS: Thanks for making my pooping time so much fun!)

Shark said...

Pooping time!!

A Canuck said...

Well. That was one of the most immature exchanges ever. Excellent that it ended going right to the word children love most. "Poop".

The whole casualty list thing was odd to say the least. It was ripe for someone to comment on. Shark, you did seem to take a little more joy than one should on the suffering of others. I'm no fan of Santiago. In fact I hate the place. But I would NEVER wish harm on any of the inhabitants.

"Anonymous" Maybe come up with a name if you're going to continue. Doesn't mean you have to give any info about yourself. I just wouldn't want to lump other geriatric, petulant, one upping anonymouses in with you.

Shark said...

I don't take joy in the suffering of others. Ok, that's a lie. But in this specific case I'm not enjoying the fact that people are homeless (or shackless) and I'm very happy that the death toll is a little over half than was originally stated.

On paper an 8.8 should be devastating but here the damage was nowhere near as bad as the media is making out. I haven't visited the affected areas but I have spoken to one Santiago family that were in Talca at the time of the quake and two brothers who came back from Europe to be with their family in Concepción.

While they are conditions that I wouldn't want to be living in, things really are not as bad as they are being portrayed in the media.

I don't doubt that it could take several years for the towns and villages to get back to their original selves but progress is rapidly being made.

The media here (who provide the images you see worldwide) are only focusing on very negative aspects. They look for people who want to cry, they show buildings that have been demolished by machinery and they do that slow motion/emotional music thing.

One thing this whole episode has shown is how absolutely inept the previous administration was.....and I begrudgingly include Ms. Bachelet in that.

A Canuck said...

My friends there have reported the same thing about Santiago. They do say that Los Molles, where I Scuba dived, was hit by the tsunami, which is too bad.

I agree that some neighbourhoods would be indistinguishable if an earthquake hit. And I hope the shithole fleabag "shared apartment"on M. Montt that I first rented with the Interpretive Dance studio below and the gaping holes in the wall collapsed into a unsalvageable ruin...But that everyone got out okay, and moved to places that suited human habitation.

Still, good luck Chile. Hope you get back on your feet soon

A Canuck said...

Shark....Did you shoot your wad already? Or did the negative comments make you gunshy?

I like your voice, for the most part. Pick a topic, tough guy